Tuesday, July 7, 2009

OB update, the wierd gets wierder

I want to start off with this poem I read a few minutes ago.

" The eyes of faith when fixed on Christ.
Give hope for what’s ahead;
But focus on life’s obstacles,
And faith gives way to dread. —D. De Haan"

This was important for the day that I've had. The verse was also encouraging,

2 Corinthians 4:8-9, 16-18 "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. ..... Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

See, I went in for my glucose testing today, the repeat, since I failed the one last Wednesday that was just for an hour. I didn't realize it would be an all day thing. I got there at 7:20am and didn't leave until 3:00. I'm pooped. My first blood check, after having fasted since midnight last night was 74, which is normal, anything below 100. Then I drank this very sugary-type "kool-aid" and my blood check an hour later was 166, normal is 165 and lower. They checked it again another hour later and it was 154, normal on that one is 145 and lower. I couldn't believe it! What the heck! I was very perplexed and frustrated. I left to get some lunch before seeing the doctor (Joey's was L&D today), Dr. Kimberlin. I almost wasn't hungry, even though I hadn't had anything to eat or drink for over 12 hours. I ate, but was not really able to enjoy it. I kept thinking, "this cant be. Diabetes is for overweight, non-exercising, folks, or someone that has a family history of the disease" none of that applies to me. I called my CPT2 doctor, Dr. Claussen, a neurologist at UAB Kirklin Clinic and told her nurse the results. She requested the MFM (maternal fetal medicine) clinic fax the info over and she'd get the results to her when she came in tomorrow. I asked the nurse, "how can I have a 75% complex carbohydrate diet for my metabolic myopathy, if I'm suppose to restrict glucose?" She didn't have any answers, but assured me that she'd get the info to Dr. Claussen, (remember this myopathy is very, very rare, and even in the patients that do end up receiving a confirmed diagnosis are mostly male; it's 80% male! so how many woman who are pregnant that have CPT2 end up having symptoms of gestational diabetes? uh, probably like none) . As I went back to the clinic to see Dr. Kimberlin after lunch I just kept saying, "Lord, I don't know what's up, but you are in control. I know You are faithful and wont let anything happen to me or Luke". Dr Kimberlin was not alarmed at the results, as they were barely abnormal. She said she wanted my blood glucose levels checked 4 times a day for now, to get a pattern. She didn't want me restricting anything at this point, since that could lead to a crisis of large proportion if I limited carbs, especially pregnant-worse case senerio it could cause kidney failure. I told her that maybe my glucose levels are suppose to be higher, after all, most chemistry in my body is not typical of the average patient, and again, there is probably NO data on this situation, female patient with CPT2 pregnant. She wasn't sure, but said it was possible. I was given a meter and the lancets and test strips to monitor the glucose levels, and also prescribed strips to check the ketones in my urin each morning, which can show unused glucose-which I can use these anyway, since it can make sure I'm getting enough caloric value. Honestly this is gonna suck. Sorry if that offends you, but it's how I feel. Like I said before, I'd rather get my weekly shot than have to prick my finger. I'm learning less painful ways of testing, but it's still not fun. I am anxious to see how the week goes and how all this pans out. I told my BCBSAL nurse, and the nutritionist at the MFM clinic, that I probably should be diligent, which I have not been, about eating smaller meals, more often, throughout the day. If I keep a consistent level of glucose in my body from food and drink, it may make a significant difference, since I've been eating larger meals and few snacks. So, that is how my day ended....at least I ended up educating the dietician on something she'd never heard of, (she had to go google it while we watched a video about gestational diabetes!).

So reading that verse was like drinking ice cold water, refreshing. I needed to be reminded, all of this, everything here on earth, is a "light and momentary trouble", and I may be pressed on each side, struck down, persecuted, BUT because of our Lord Jesus, we are all victorers. He is renewing my body and my spirit day by day. He is keeping Luke safe and healthy. I must "fix my eyes on the unseen", which to me is the promise that God will bring Luke safely and healthy into our lives. As Christians, it's often easy for us to comfort others with encouraging words of "everything will be fine" but our Precious Heavenly Father often times needs to tell us "Himself".

Also, my dear sweet friend Rachel, who lost her precious son Isaac on the day of his birth, had her sweet baby girl, Annabella Karen Stover on Friday at UAB. After 2 or 3 hours of laborous pushing, they had to take her by section because of her positioning and the unlikely benefit of Rachel continuing to labor. She weighed 6 lbs and 13 oz. I'm sure she's beautiful. I could tell, even through Rachel's short text message, that she was so releaved and calmed to finally have her in front of her, where she could see her, hold her, kiss her, smell her, watch her breathe easily and move her arms and legs. I can only imagine that feeling, but it will be ours. We will hear our crying baby as he makes his entrance, healthy and whole, into this world and our arms.

Please continue to pray for Luke's health, and also mine. Many moms have uncomplicated "normal" pregnancies, and how truely a miracle that is. No matter, I know Who is the author of life, and Who holds my and my family's future.

Faithfully His,

Mika

2 comments:

  1. Mika,

    My husband is a Type 1 diabetic and I can give you some tips on the finger prick. Use your ring finger because you get more blood and it doesn't hurt as bad. I know it is not fun but if they see a consistent pattern then they will know everything is normal! I am praying for you. I am 18 weeks today and so far so good! I check your blog often and I am so happy to see that you are doing well even if this is a bump in the road. Thinking of you often. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the poem. Thank you for the update..been worrying all day, but no need, thank you for reminding me with your poem and verse...HE IS IN CONTROL..and it is all a small vapor in eternal aspect. Jenna prayed for Luke to grow bigger and bigger and Ellie prayed for you to rest and Claire prayed for Luke to stay safe and your body to be strong. I will continue to pray throughout my day as I know you do too and it is now the time that is the most stressful. I will bring you supper again, just let me know when you'd like a night off. I really should bring you supper after your appointment. I know how overwhelming and draining those days are. I love ya girl and the Pates are praying like crazy for you!

    ReplyDelete