Thursday, April 23, 2009

Storms in our lives



Yesterday the devotional I read was the verses I read the day Layah was born, Matthew 8:23-27, which I got tattooed with Layah's feet print on me because it was so powerfully prophetic and to remind me of always striving to have unwaivering (that's the hard part) faith. " Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" 26He replied, "You of little FAITH, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm." The writer of the devotional said that it's natural for us to be frightened in a storm (literal or figurative), as the disciples had seen the miracles of Jesus but still cried out to him in fear for their lives, and he was sitting right in the boat with them, yet they were afraid! The writer said that Jesus used the storm to show them who He was and still is- a powerful God who also cared for them, for us. Although God wont always calm our "storm", He will always be with us "in the boat" and He is able to give us calmness in our spirit and bodies.
I learned today, in visiting a friend of mine in the department I used to be in at work, that my previous manager's wife, lost her battle with cancer April 10th. I didn't know his faith, as he never shared anything with me about his wife's illness, although when Layah died and I returned from maternity leave, he and I would talk in his office at length. As I read his wife's Caringbridge page, and the letter he wrote to friends and family upon her passing, I cried and cried. I could sense his peace. He said that she was at rest and not in anymore pain, and in Paradise with the Lord Jesus, and the only pain now is of those who are left to continue life without her. As I read, I thought about the devotional from yesterday, and in my previous blog entry about "the Cross". He grieves with us. He rejoices with us. Every emotion we feel, He has felt, and is right there with us during those times- of death and life, sometimes holding our hands, sometimes carrying us. It opened my healing wounds of grief for Layah, as if she passed yesterday, but I too understand exactly this husband's point. We are the ones "missing out". I've said it before- it really should be opposite emotional expressions: rejoice when a believer goes home to be with the Lord, and weep with sadness when a child is born into this fallen creation. Obviously any new life brings joy, but I hope you understand my point. Whether we live a 100 years or 6 days like my precious Layah, it is all so fleeting in comparison to eternity. I had been worried yesterday about something trivial, as if God would not provide in this particular need, and today, I am reminded that He is always there, supplying every need, that best suits His plan for our lives. I looked up many names of our sweet Jesus, and wanted to share them with you. Each of them represent a special name, one that can be used in each of our situations, as we talk to Him. The one that I was not familiar with, but definitly see this part of God all the time, (and many unbelievers may not be able to view Him in this manner), is- Yahweh Nakeh, "our God who smiles". I pray as I seek Him each day, at the end of the day, no matter my falls, He will smile upon me.

Yehweh(Jehovah), "He who is", "the great I AM", LORD, "God Almighty," , "omnipotence & sovereignty",
Elohim " God", "Mighty One" (sort of like, "my boss")
Eloi! " (an outcry to God, one desperately alone) My God!"
El-Shaddai "my All-sufficient", "Almighty God of strength/power"
Adonai "The Lord" (as in The Trinity)
Jehovah "Redeemer of His people"
Yahweh Yireh "God will provide/my Provider"
Yahweh Rophe, "our God who HEALS"!!!
Yahweh Nissi "God is my banner, "
Yahweh M'kaddesh "God your sanctifier"
Yahweh Shalom "God is peace/my peace"
Yahweh Tsidkenu, "God our righteousness"
Yahweh Raah "God is my shepherd"
Yahweh Shammah "God is there, is present"
Yahweh Nakeh "our God who SMILES"
El Elyon "The Most High!", (literally, the strongest Mighty One"
El Roi "the Mighty One who sees"
El Olam " Everlasting God and God of Eternity"
Father (as a child speaking to his father)
Abba (like a child speaking to his daddy)
the Truine God (the simultaneous existence of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit)

Most of these names had the expressions the Hebrew people used when speaking this word, and I would say 90% of them said "celebratory/descriptive name". In closing, that is the way I say, "Abba, thank you so much for being all these names to me and more. Thank you for holding me close to you each and every day. I love you and kiss my sweet Layah for me"

Faithfully His,

Mika

No comments:

Post a Comment